- Page limit for submissions is 5 pages when submitted by individual stakeholders, and 10 pages when submitted by large coalitions of stakeholders.
- UPR submissions must be submitted and received by 12.00 pm Geneva time (CET) on the day of the given deadline. Late Submissions will not be considered.
- Submissions should follow the structure of the General Guidelines for the preparation of information under the UPR: http://ap.ohchr.org/documents/dpage_e.aspx?si=A/HRC/DEC/6/102
- Submissions should cover a maximum of a 4 year-time period
- Submission documents should be saved as a Word document only, i.e. not as PDF file;
- Written contributions should be submitted in United Nations official languages only, preferably in English, French or Spanish;
- Submit the final version of your text as revised versions might be difficult to be accepted at a later stage;
- Paragraphs and pages of each submission should be numbered;
- Submissions may include an introduction paragraph summarizing the main points contained therein;
- As a way of introduction, stakeholders are also encouraged to indicate key words in relation to their submission (e.g., domestic violence); and
- Stakeholders should refrain from annexing reports from other organizations;
Submissions should be sent to email@example.com.
Submissions are due generally at least 6 months before State in question comes up for review. For example:
Submissions in relation to the 16 countries scheduled to be reviewed at the ninth session of the Working Group on the UPR (December 2010) should be sent to the above-indicated address by:
*See the following for the exhaustive list of countries under review: http://www.ohchr.org/EN/HRBodies/UPR/Pages/UPRSessions.aspx
*See the following for deadlines for each submission: http://www.ohchr.org/EN/HRBODIES/UPR/Pages/NewDeadlines.aspx
Technical information on emailing submissions:
Each electronic submission and relevant e-mail message should concern one country only. In the e-mail message accompanying the submitted documents kindly include:
(a) In the title of the e-mail message: the name of the (main) stakeholder/NGO/NHRI submitting the contribution, the kind of contribution (individual and/or joint), the name of the reviewed country and indicate the month and year of relevant UPR session, e.g., “Women's coalition – joint UPR submission – Brazil – April 2008” ;
(b) In the text of the e-mail message accompanying the submission, kindly indicate the contact details of the reference person in your organization / institution;
(c) A paragraph describing the main activities of the submitting organization/coalition, as well as date of establishment, especially for those organizations which interrelate for the first time with the United Nations, would be also welcomed.
Please see pages 8 &9 (labeled “Technical Guidelines”) for further UPR submission guidelines- http://www.ohchr.org/EN/HRBodies/UPR/Documents/TechnicalGuideEN.pdf
For more information, visit http://www.ohchr.org/EN/HRBodies/UPR/Pages/NewDeadlines.aspx.
For submitting your report- UPRsubmissions@ohchr.org
For questions regarding submission or general information on the UPRfirstname.lastname@example.org
330 Second Avenue South, Suite 800, Minneapolis, MN 55401 USA Phone: (612) 341-3302 Fax: (612) 341-2971 Immigration Client Line: (612) 341-9845 Email: email@example.com
Copyright © 2010 The Advocates for Human Rights. All rights reserved. Permission is granted to use this material for non-commercial purposes with proper attribution to The Advocates for Human Rights.