International Justice Internship
Please note that internship applications must be submitted through the form on our website.
Remote (with possibility of hybrid)
This internship is designed for undergraduate or graduate students to engage in human rights research and analysis. Interns will have the opportunity to conduct research on international law and country conditions, observe UN human rights mechanism proceedings, assist staff with compiling reports to the UN and other regional bodies, and respond to requests for assistance.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
- Research international law, including human rights & humanitarian law, international criminal law, international standards and best-practices, etc.
- Compile country/region specific information on rule of law issues, human rights defenders, civil society activities, legislative developments, and state compliance with international human rights standards.
- Assist staff and volunteers with compiling reports based on human rights monitoring missions.
- Assist with maintaining current information on The Advocates' web pages, electronic networking sites, and other organizational materials.
- Help to develop educational/promotional materials for use with schools and community groups.
- Assist with planning trainings and preparing materials for volunteers participating in human rights monitoring projects both overseas and in the US.
- Translate documents as necessary.
- Assist staff with responses to requests for assistance.
- Assist with all aspects of work at a small non-profit, including administrative tasks, event planning, outreach, etc.
Experience and qualifications:
- Strong legal research and writing skills
- Good organizational skills
- Professional demeanor
- Experience with research outside the legal arena, such as political science, governance, anthropology, etc.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrated interest in human rights, rule of law, humanitarian law, etc.
- Fluency in English
- Proficiency in one or more foreign languages preferred
Please see our Frequently Asked Questions page. If your question is not answered in there, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that internship applications must be submitted through the form on our website.