Refugee & Immigrant Program Legal Representation Internship
Please note that internship applications must be submitted through the form on our website.
Remote or in-person
The Refugee and Immigrant Program welcomes law students to apply for the Legal Representation Internship. We accept students who are currently attending or recently graduated from a U.S. law school. If you are not currently a law student, please apply for the RIP Intake Internship.
Past and current interns have assisted with case administration, conducted country condition and legal research, translated documents, and assisted with application preparation to support clients' asylum claims.
Intern Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in intake interviews, deliberation and follow up
- Conduct legal and human rights research to prepare cases to transmit to volunteer attorneys
- Work with clients to prepare asylum applications and affidavits
- Assist staff and volunteer attorneys with supplemental research to support pending asylum claims, including brief writing
- Assist staff and volunteers with representation of clients at administrative immigration hearings, including observing and potentially participating in court proceedings
- Support staff with other related immigration applications, document translation as applicable, research, CLE material preparation and other duties as needed.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Organized, self-starter, detail-oriented and able to meet deadlines.
- 2L law or 3L student with an interest and commitment to do high quality legal work for low-income immigrant clients in a fast-paced office setting. 1Ls comfortable in a fast-paced office setting welcome.
- Prior course work, work experience or clinical experience in immigration and/or human rights law is a plus.
- Excellent research, oral and written communication skills, organized, and detail-oriented.
- Fluency in a second language is a plus but not required.
Please see our Frequently Asked Questions page. If your question is not answered in there, you can email email@example.com. Please note that internship applications must be submitted through the form on our website.