Refugee & Immigrant Program Intake Internship
Please note that internship applications must be submitted through the form on our website.
In-person preferred, but not required
The Refugee and Immigrant Program welcomes undergraduate, graduate, and law school students to assist with client intake, translation, research, and administration. Past and current interns have conducted intake follow up with potential clients, assisted with intake interviews and case administration, conducted country condition and legal research, translated documents, and assisted with application preparation to support clients' asylum claims.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
- Answering the client phone hotline, providing referrals, conducting phone intakes for potential asylum clients, and communicating with current clients
- Writing case summaries, including country conditions information
- Drafting letters to clients and attorneys
- Client contact (greeting at the front desk, initial screening calls, etc.)
- Administrative duties such as filing, copying, mailing, and maintaining data in our Legal Server case management system
- Legal and human rights conditions research
- Support for special events
Experience and qualifications:
- Excellent attention to detail with ability to manage and follow through on tasks
- Strong note taking skills with ability to synthesize notes into case histories and summaries
- Advanced writing skills to synthesize country condition research
- Ability to work both independently and with a group
- Interest in refugees, immigrants, and other new arrivals to Minnesota
- Cultural competency and humility
- Preference for applicants with experience working with targeted populations
- Ability to triage high call volume with varied requests to client line
- Experience or familiarity with immigration law (preferred, for law students)
- Fluency in English
- High preference for fluency in another language, i.e. Spanish (priority), French, Amharic, Somali, Oromo, Karen, etc.