Human Rights abuses happen every day. Let's change it.
The Story of Mr. B
Mr. B was targeted in Uganda for his sexual orientation. When the passage of Uganda's Anti-Homosexuality Law in 2014 unleashed a torrent of human rights violations against gay people, Mr. B needed to flee. Leaders within his community, and a U.S. Congressperson, helped him get a student visa for the United States. But that was only the first step toward rebuilding a life in safety - without asylum, Mr. B faced the ongoing threat of having to return to a country where same-sex conduct could result in the death penalty. In 2017, he filed his asylum application. With legal representation by The Advocates for Human Rights' expert staff and tenacious volunteers, Mr. B was granted asylum in August. His future is bright.
So far in 2023 we have:
- Engaged with 10,340 people at the Minnesota State Fair.
- Observed thousands of court proceedings on domestic violence, sexual assault, human trafficking, and immigration in Minnesota.
- Served more than 1,880 clients in the state of Minnesota*.
- Monitored and fought against global violence against women in more than 20 countries.
- Submitted 85 reports on human rights conditions to the United Nations.
- Supported access to transformative, free education for 375 girls and boys in the rural area of Kathmandu Valley in Nepal.
- Worked with 1,507 volunteers and interns*.
- Celebrated 40 years of advocating for human rights!
*current data is based on FY23.
Join us by donating today!
Your donation of:
$25 supports the implementation of laws based on human rights standards.
$50 strengthens the human rights movement.
$100 provides "Know your Human Rights" seminars and trainings.
$250 advocates for stronger human rights protections in Minnesota.
$500 trains the next generation of human rights defenders.
$1,000 helps a partner organization join our UN advocacy.
$1,500 pays tuition for 5 students at our Sankhu-Palubari Community School.
$2,500 provides legal representation for a victim of human rights abuse like Mr. B.
Help support us today during Give to the Max Day by donating here!