The Advocates for Human Rights respects donor privacy and has developed this policy to demonstrate its commitment to protecting donor information, as well as to inform donors about how their information is used by the organization.
The Advocates will not share donor information with any third party.
A donor may remove his/her name from The Advocates' mailing list at any time, and make request as well as make requests about preferred method and frequency of communication.
These are the types of donor information The Advocates may collect and maintain:
- Contact information: name, mailing address, phone number, email address;
- Payment information: bank name, routing number and account number; credit card provider, account number and expiration date; billing address;
- Information about how the donor came to be a constituent of The Advocates;
- Information the donor has shared with us, such as questions or comments or suggestions; and
- A donor's request to receive information from us, such as newsletters, fund-raising appeals, updates from our global partners, and additional items of interest.
How Information Is Used
The Advocates for Human Rights uses a donor's information to understand the needs of the donor and provide the donor with appropriate constituent service. Specifically,
- Information is used to complete a contribution transaction, communicate with the donor, and update the donor on program news;
- credit card numbers are used only for donation or payment processing and are not retained for other purposes;
- donor comments are used to provide a specific donor with information requested or to provide better service to all donors;
- recommendation about how communication can be improved receive serious consideration by Advocates staff.
Donor information is used only to further the efforts of The Advocates for Human Rights and is limited to internal purposes.
The Advocates for Human Rights utilizes the expertise of third party payment services when receiving on-line contributions through its website. You may read the Privacy & Security Policy of the firm that provides Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) online donation technology to The Advocates by clicking on the link that appears when choosing to donate to The Advocates on this page.
Donors who utilize online sites, such as Network for Good or GiveMN.org, that forward a donor's contribution to The Advocates for a fee, should consider the privacy policies of those sites.
If a donor has designated a contribution through an employee matching program, the United Way, Community Shares or any other payment agent, the donor should consider the privacy policies of those organizations.
The Advocates is not responsible for information a donor shares with such third party service providers as a way to make a contribution to The Advocates.
Respecting Donor Privacy
The Advocates for Human Rights does not share, sell, rent, or lease personal information to other organizations or direct mail services. The identity of all donors is kept confidential.
Removing a Donor Name from The Advocates' Mailing List
The Advocates does not wish to send unwanted mail to donors. The Advocates listens to and honors donor requests. Donors may contact The Advocates by telephone, email or post with a request to be removed from the Advocates' mailing list. Donors may choose the desired contact amount and method or choose to have no contact with the organization and these preferences are recorded in the database. The Advocates takes steps to ensure donor names are removed from any non-database list or record under The Advocates' control.
This policy does not prohibit contact by The Advocates that is requested by a donor or a donor's representative.