The Courtroom and Language (In)Accessibility for New Americans
Issues: Interpretation, Translation , Legal Representation , Migrant Rights
Watch THE COURTROOM and then join the Jungle Theater, the Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota, and The Advocates for Human Rights for a free CLE based on the production.
When: Tuesday, June 27, 2023 from noon to 1:30 p.m. (lunch begins at 11:30 a.m.)
Where: Nilan Johnson Lewis PA, 250 S Marquette Ave Ste 800, Minneapolis, MN 55401 (Remote access also available)
CLE: 1.5 Elimination of Bias CLE credits requested
Lunch will be provided to registered in-person participants
- Erin Oglesbay (moderator) is a Senior Director, Assistant General Counsel for Target Corporation. She is also a board member of the Jungle Theater. Erin was previously an associate at Winthrop & Weinstine and Faegre Drinker and a law clerk to the Honorable James Rosenbaum of the District of Minnesota. Erin graduated from the University of Minnesota Law School.
- James Rodríguez is a Twin Cities based theater artist. His work as an actor has been seen with various theater companies including The Jungle Theater, The Guthrie Theater, Dark & Stormy Productions, Ten Thousand Things Theater, Pillsbury House Theater and Yellow Tree Theater, among others. James currently serves on The Jungle Theater's Artistic Cohort. THE COURTROOM marks his directorial debut.
- Stephanie Anne Bertumen is an actor and choreographer who has worked with such companies as the Guthrie, Children's Theatre Company, The Old Globe, History Theatre, Ten Thousand Things, Theatre Latté Da, and the Ordway. She is a proud graduate of the University of Minnesota/Guthrie Theater B.F.A. Actor Training Program.
- Tracy Roy (she/her) is the Pro Bono Manager at the Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota. Tracy joined ILCM in January 2023 after almost seven years of providing holistic direct services to immigrant clients in Central Minnesota. She lives in Minneapolis with her dog and enjoys going to the farmer's market and biking along the river.
- Michele Garnett McKenzie serves on the senior leadership team at The Advocates for Human Rights, where she heads up the organization's research, education, and advocacy team and leads communication strategy. She joined The Advocates' staff in 1999 as an attorney representing asylum seekers and detained immigrants and later managed the organization's immigration legal services program. Today Michele works to document and report on human rights issues and is the author of publications on human trafficking and immigrant rights.
Photo credit: Lauren B. Photography